Skip to main content

So I thought I should: Announce

11/02/18


So I thought I should: Announce

‘The Sea’ is wending its wonderful way to a theatre near you. If, that is, you live on Euston Road.

We’re three weeks into rehearsals and looking forward to opening on March 1 @ The Camden People’s Theatre. Interviews, press releases, email exchanges to infinity. Soullessly using your friends for your own selfish ambitions. It’s all fair in love and theatre.

I return to the blog only to leave again. From the bottomless well that is the wisdom of C Dougan, I take the advice ‘Do guest-blogging. People love talking about themselves.’

And from this comes the new season of ‘So I Thought I’: different perspectives from different people. I have contacted a bunch of people, some from London, some new to London, some having left, some having just arrived.

Our inaugural blogger, Mania Lewandowska, moved to London in September 2016 from Warsaw. Her blog will open our series on Tuesday.

Watch. This. Space.

"I found out about pollution online. I didn’t know about it before. I thought it was just morning stuff. You know. Like the world still has sleep in its eyes and its still burning off the water of the night. But it’s not. It’s pollution." (Act 2, Scene 3)

Tickets to ‘The Sea’: https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/production/the-sea/
Follow us: @TheSeaPlay
Keep updated: https://www.facebook.com/events/187019798551420/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I thought I should talk about: 'Gay'

6/9/17 The play I’m working on, Hommo, is about masculinity and the (homo)sexuality of hypermasculine relationships when they come into conflict. I see this sexual conflict in the gym and on the sports field, as the obvious examples, but it can also be seen in radically different circumstances. I want to ask what circumstances create the use of ‘gay’ as a negative term, and why men say ‘that’s gay’. ‘Hommo’ follows two men as they plan to kill a woman, and simultaneously one dates a different woman. This narrative confronts sexuality on many levels: heterosexual desire for the woman as a sexual object, both in the act of sex, and assassination. But the central focus is the sexual-conflict between the two men as they battle with each other to establish their total masculinity. . I feel that all relationships, of any gender, exhibit what’s known as the ‘master-slave dynamic’. All couples, partners, lovers, will have realms of life in which one is the superior, the more capable, ...

Guest 1. Mania Lewandowska

14/2/18. Mania Lewandowska I moved to London in (a) September. They had organised a farewell party for me, where my brother said: “ I remember when you were three and you would scream your lungs out every time you saw a fly. And now you ’ re going to uni. I can ’ t believe it. ” I couldn ’ t really believe it either. A week later, on the first day of Freshers ’ , I twisted my ankle running through Camden to catch a bus, and spent five hours in the accident and emergency waiting room of UCLH, dozing off with my head resting on my mum ’ s shoulder. She was supposed to fly back the next day, and I was supposed to stay, mature and independent, on my own. They told me the leg wasn ’ t broken and gave me a pair of wobbly crutches; it was 3a.m. as I hopped back to my dorm along Euston Road. It was the first time that I realised that traffic was a constant thing in London, happening not only in rush hour, but absolutely always. You could be stuck in a senseless jam at 4 at night ...

Guest 4. Frances Corbett

23/2/18 Frankie moved to London in October 2016 “I know I said I was thankful for my legs that carry me everywhere around London yesterday but what the fuck I am tired. On the nice side of things, I bought a falafel wrap today. Yes.” My diary - Monday 22nd January 2018. My words about London have been waiting to spill out of me for a long while now, and they have finally arrived. It took myself a sufficient amount of time to begin, knowing that they would never quite fall how I wanted them to. Here is my short attempt at voicing a few words on a city I both love and hate. I’m not a small town girl. I love my hometown/where I grew up; being surrounded by an abundance of green, having my family nearby, the air being so fresh. It’s just not quite me. My patience is extremely short (as I’ve finally come to terms with), and I longed for something new to sink my teeth into. London called. When arriving, it was all excitement. Moving out, properly, for university was alway...